I'm researching issues related to road tolling in Europe and worldwide.
The specific area is tolling systems based on actual vehicle weight and
distance travelled but I am also interested in pointers to systems in
place or at an advanced planning stage which implement variations on
this theme.

Straightforward 'turnpike' systems with variable tolls based on
(apparent) vehicle SIZE or category are NOT immediately relevant to my
enquiries.

Please let me know if you have been involved in the implementation of
such systems.  I am particularly interested in NEGATIVE aspects
(political, social, economic and technical) of such schemes, when they
were first mooted, first implemented and after they had bedded-in for a
while.  For example, (unanticipated) side effects such as individual
route-changing behaviour to avoid tolled parts of a route.

Also, if you know of relevant schemes that reached detailed planing
stage but were then abandoned or postponed, I would be interested in
these, and the reason(s) for failure.

Many thanks for your help.
--
John Brooks