> This message is both for SPM and MEDx users.
>
> We have a study for which we used MEDx implementation of AIR for
> realignment (rather than SPM'96 realign module), and now we are trying to
> replicate the 2-step realignment in MEDx. Here are my questions:
>
> 1) In SPM'96, when the 1st realignment is done, the images normally do not
> get resliced, and only the mean image is produced. I presume that the mean
> image must reflect realignment of Scan 2 to Scan 1 even though rScan2 is
> not produced. Am I correct?

Yes.

> 2) Because the 1st realignment will create a Scan2.mat file, the 2nd
> realignment will see it and use it when realigning Scan 1 and Scan 2 to
> the mean. But the mean is already very close to Scan 1 and "realigned
> Scan 2". What would change if I delete Scan2.mat file and realign original
> Scan 1 and Scan 2 to the mean?

The starting estimates for the second realignment will not be as close.
In SPM99, this would make very little difference because the realignment
runs until a stopping criterion is reached, and should only result
in the second realignment taking slightly longer.  In SPM96 it makes a
slight difference bacause the realignment only runs for a fixed number of
iterations.

Regards,
-John