Dear Vitaly,

> I am analysing SPECT images of Lyme Disease subjects and I seem to be
> running into "illegal contrast" problem. My design is as follows:
>
> Lyme Patient	  Control Group		Design type:
> ---------------	  ---------------
> Rest  Challenge	  Rest	Challenge	Multistudy, different conditions
> ---------------------------------
> 1	0	  -1	   0
> -1	0	   1	   0
> 0	1	   0	   -1
> 0	-1	   0	   1
> ---------------------------------
>
> The objective is to compare individual Lyme patients against a group of
> controls with the presence and the absence of Diamox. The program runs to
> completion, but the output is very strange. The matrix of contrasts on the
> SPM{F} page looks like:
>
> 0.5	-0.5	-0.5	0.5
> -0.5	0.5	0.5	-0.5
> -0.5    0.5     0.5     -0.5
> 0.5     -0.5    -0.5    0.5
>

> What is interesting, a similar analysis in SPM'95 works fine.
>
> Are these contrasts illegal? If so, what could be done to implement such a
> design?

It looks as if the contrasts have mean corrected within group.  This
may be something that Andrew has included to ensure estimable
contrasts.  I think perhaps he better comment on this.  The contrasts
actually used by SPM (the second set) are all interactions and are
valid.  These contrasts are, I think, what you want.  To look at the
simple main effects (your first set of contrasts) you should perform
separate analyses under Rest and Challenge.

All the best - Karl