Thanks Toni.

Yes I agree that rejection and resampling affects the variance (also the mean),
but it will often suffice for the purpose in hand. I agree, too, that the gamma
can be useful (it can be almost any shape). Your practical advice about
<Constant + sample> seems reasonable enough to me - but then I've never
travelled on a narrow boat, I'm too impatient.

MP