In message <[log in to unmask]>, Mike Exon
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>Can anyone tell give me a list of the names of the mines that have
>or are still operating in Barnsley Metropolitan Borough?
>

>Does anyone have a source of information on the numbers of
>miners in the pits in Barnsley in 1962, 1967, 1972, 1977, 1982,
>1987, 1992, 1997?
>

>Does anyone know which company used to own the pits around
>Barnsley?

The best place to start on the above questions is the Colliery Guardian
"Guide to the Coalfields".

These were (or even are) published every year, certainly since
nationalisation and probably before. They list every colliery in the
British Isles and show the position of the vast majority on sections of
O.S. maps. For each colliery (and I am reading from the 1950 issue)
there is

Colliery Name
Location
Tel. No.
Types of coal produced
Seams worked
Underground and Surface Workforce
Name of Manager
Name of Undermanager
Inspectorate Area

This should get you started.

It should perhaps be pointed out that certainly by the 70's colliery
work forces were quite mobile. Many pits had shut to the west and
colliers commuted quite long distances, in some cases, to the east, to
the more modern pits.
--
Dave Williams  - [log in to unmask]

Visit the Mining History Network at
http://info.exeter.ac.uk/~RBurt/MinHistNet
for information on PDMHS Ltd., the active Mining History Society.