Dear List members,

This is my first posting.  I would like some bibliographical advice, given my
ignorance of library history.  I have been assigned the supervision of an MA
dissertation dealing with the substantial library of a local aristocratic
family (mainly C18 and C19 English and French works).  The postgraduate hopes
to make inferences about the family's historical interests from the nature of
the collection and what little is known about acquisition and the individual
family members.

I imagine that this is a relatively well-worked area of library history
studies, but my bibliographical assistance has so far borne little fruit.

With thanks.

Dr Stephen Pumfrey,
Department of History,
University of Lancaster,