Just a few thoughts regarding your "poser"

Perhaps the issue is whether the personal data was being released to a company which was considering
a take over.  In this case there would be reasonable grounds to assume that consent would be required as
there is no relationship between the data subject and the company.  Once the take over has been completed
then the employer has an established contractual relationship and inferred duty of care for the employees and
their data.

One approach to facilitate such an exchange of data may be to establish a contract between the potential
take over company and the existing company, explicity covering the transfer of the data.  Providing the contract
is cleared by the DPR's office and employee representatives and that there is no breach of purpose a transfer may
be possible.

John Robinson
an NHS Data-Protection Co-ordinator