   Date: Fri, 26 Mar 99 14:42:19 CST
   From: [log in to unmask]
   Sender: [log in to unmask]

   One of my colleagues has bid a project proposing to convert some Fortran 77
   code to C++ claiming it will run faster.  I dispute this but do not have hard
   facts at hand.  Can someone point to a web site with comparison benchmarks?
   Or, tell me about personal experience?  A Fortran to C comparison would also be
    useful.

   Harry R. Millwater, Ph.D.
   Probabilistic Mechanics and Reliability Section
   Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio, TX
   (210) 522-2006 Voice
   (210) 522-3042 Fax

You might want to look at our web site, that compares codes written in
C++ with versions using object-oriented concepts in Fortran 90. If you
click on the "Performance" button at the bottom of the page you will
see comparisons on workstations and supercomputers.

http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~szymansk/oof90.html

There is also some work examining the performance associated with
using various Fortran 90 abstract data types. Finally there are some
papers that also examine variations on this issue, as well as the
dissertation that contains much more information on experiences
converting Fortran 77 codes to Fortran 90 and C++ with performance and
abstraction modeling comparisons.

Charles

--
Dr. Charles D. Norton