     At Cardiff University, we have substantial Access Funds remaining.

     I quote from the Terms and Conditions for Payment of Grants:

     "Some students find that they need financial assistance late in the
     academic year, perhaps because they have not been able to find
     temporary employment for the long vacation.  Institutions are
     recommended to hold back some of their access funds, and keep in
     place arrangements for consideering late applications."

     The Higher Education Funding Council for Wales has decreed that the
     end of the academic year is 31 JULY and any funds unspent at that
     date (including interest) must be returned to them.  HEFCE however
     regard 31 AUGUST as the end of the academic year (which is eminently
     rational as this coincides with academic year as defined in Mandatory
     Awards and Student Support regulations).  It hasn't been a particular
     problem to us in the past as we have "spent out" usually by June but
     this year, as we still have funds, we would really like to address
     the difficulties experienced in the long vacation INCLUDING August.

     Could I please ask my colleagues in Wales to let me know whether they
     would support a combined approach to the Welsh Office to exercise some
     latitude?  Our initial approach some years ago led to the response
     that "there is a Welsh Office memorandum which states that 31 July is
     the end of the academic year" so they would not budge.

     Please reply to me direct (e-mail and telephone below) rather than
     bombard our English colleagues who do not have the same difficulty.

     Many thanks

     Sybil Green
     Senior Adviser
     Dean of Students Office