We list and discuss all "blunders" at our monthly
audit meeting (it is our first standing item).
This includes both situations where an incorrect
result has been issued (for wha
tever reason) as well as "near misses"
where a member of staff feels that things went wrong but
internal checks etc prevented the error going out.

i recommend this policy (which can only apply in a no-blame
culture) as the single best way of reducing these errors and
introducing changes that help to minimise them.

For example we recently had a problem with two samples and
two request forms submitted simultaneously from a husband and
wife (same surname, address and GP) where the two forms
arived stapled together making it difficult to spot the different
forename. It can be helpful constructive and supportive to staff
for these problems to be openly discussed and documented.

The data is part of our confidential audit data for internal
consumption only. We have no plans to release it to anyone else.

I would be interested in more information about the "requirement"
under clinical governance that "mistakes should be reported to the patient
concerned". Surely that cannot apply to errors picked up within the
laboratory?

What do others do?

James Falconer Smith