As a result of a private email I have just received it appears that this
message has been mis-construed: In accordance with good Netiquette, I
had deleted the majority of the posting to which I was replying and only
left a few lines to identify which was the original post to allow users
to refer back (thereby reducing call costs for those on dial up links
like mine). The orignial post asked the question as to what would happen
to the chemical pathologists and biochemists rendered superfluous by
mergers of laboratories into mega-labs. My comment about what do
biochemists do related to that question and included chemical
pathologists in the generic term 'biochemists'. The post was not meant
to be a gratuitous insult to biochemists: it was aimed as a cynical
interpretation of the ulterior motives of our political Lords & masters
- aka Dobbin and the Cheshire cat.

My apologies to anyone who may haave been offended by the original post.

TIM

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Mike Addison
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I expect that many UK subscribers to this list are aware of HSC
>1999/170 'Modernisation of Pathology Services'  with its request for
>bids for capital investment in Pathology.  This document is
>available at http://www.doh.gov.uk/coinh.htm.  I also expect that
>quite a number have sent in expressions of interest, yet despite the
>many years of gross underfunding of Pathology, I think we should
>seriously examine the contents of the circular and identify the
>purpose.

The Govt agenda is almost certainly trying to get the megalabs they have
wanyted for years: the problem is that they keep asking the question,
getting the answer that it is impossible and then rewriting the question
in the hope that they will get the answer they want the next time.
Provided pathoogy specifications expect turnaround times that cannot be
matched by an off-site centre, we should be safe....

As or what do the biochemists do - that's a good question: the Govt
would probaably be very happy to lose a few - and thus save themselves
the 10 millionthey have put up.

TIM
--
Prof. Tim Reynolds,