Jarmo says....

>But if the literature notes are "closer" to the interview data then it would
>be much easier to put the data and literature to "discuss" with each other
>at different phases of the research process.
>
>I would like to ask you all, how do you organize your literature notes (and
>bibliographies too)? Do you use any specific software and how do they relate
>to NUDIST? You can also reply directly to me.
>
>Thank you
>
>Jarmo Houtsonen                         email: [log in to unmask]

Well it doesn't matter which software you are using to analyse your
qualitative data - you can 'IMPORT' /'ASSIGN' / 'ADD'  (depending on the
s/w) documents which are in fact just lists of literature items - or
abstracts or actual bibliographies generated in text format from any
on-line resource or your own files.  Treat them at this point exactly like
primary data, interviews etc.  They are just other types of file inside
your project or hermenuetic unit - whatever.

2 overlapping strategies:-

1.   With software that does NOT easily allow editing of the raw data or
document (the list of literature)e.g Atlas, Winmax, The Ethnograph,
Kwalitan, HyperResearch you can select and code entries, thus reminding you
of important themses, thoeries issues covered in each paper etc when you
retrieve these codes
you can attach memos to parts of your list  - thus building abstract
information about the literature.
Further, you can attach variables to the literature files, which allow you
to filter them out of certain operations. i.e. things you only want to do
to the interviews
In Atlas you could even produce a  map which traces the supporting
literature  existing theoretical stances and arguments etc - and within
that map retrieve supporting abstract info - on each code or quotation   -
if it was part of the original document - or view the memo attached to each
entry.

2.  With software that does allow editing of raw data inside the project in
the CAQDAS software, like NUDIST
you can not only code the entries - you can also annotate, edit and insert
new text units AT the entry in your literature document -
then you can code these edits - so you can progressively build up abstract
information, which is coded, and also seen from then on, 'embedded' in the
actual lists of literature.
With NUdist too, you woudl categorise, (code) the literature files as a
whole to be able to filter them in or out of certain operations.

OK hope thats food for thought
cheers
Ann Lewins
CAQDAS Networking Project

At 14:02 01/12/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear listmembers,
>I am a new qual-soft user and I just started to analyze my interview data
>with NUDIST. While analyzing and writing the first paper on my subject, I
>realized how much more efficient and convenient it would be to have my
>literature notes on computer too. So far I have made my literature notes
>with "the traditional" indexcard system: an indexword and a running number
>on each card and a separate list of all indexwords with card numbers below.

>Senior assistant
>Department of Sociology
>University of Joensuu
>FINLAND

Ann Lewins, CAQDAS Networking Project, Dept of Sociology
University of Surrey, GUILDFORD GU2 5XH, U.K
tel +44(0)1483 259455 fax +44(0)1483 259551
CAQDAS WWW page: http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/caqdas/

To join(leave)qual-software:
send untitled message to [log in to unmask]
in text enter: join(leave)qual-software your first name your second name