In a message dated 12/14/98 9:11:58 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>As far as I can tell knee extension is still a movement and although it
>does isolate the quads I think it can be useful for strengthening.  In
>a JOSPT article this year it was discussed that examination of gait
>reveals there is open and closed chain activity and therefore isolated
>closed chain activity is not the only way of doing things any more.
>Now, who knows what percent open versus closed chain activity should be
>done?

***What concerns me more about the issue is the isolationist or uni-articular
approach involved in most 'open chain' exercises, rather than their open-
chained nature per se. Physios spend a lot of time learning the merits of PNF
and its associated multi-articular patterns of movement, then they are thrust
into world of isokinetic and isolationist machines which tend to overshadow
the importance of functional patterns of movement with a central stress more
on nervous processes  than muscle action.

After all, we constantly hear the dictum:"the body knows only of movements,
not muscles", yet far too many therapists, scientists and coaches still seem
to examine or treat the musculoskeletal system as if it were just a separate
peripheral system with no central command centre.

That JOSPT article concerned referred to closed and open chain movement in the
context of functional movement and that is a very different situation compared
with the so-called non-functional open chain methods which are involved in
isokinetic testing or training.  There are also profound central, peripheral
and biomechanical differences between uni-articular exercise (e.g. machine leg
extensions) and multi-articular open chain exercise (e.g. the swing phase in
walking or running).

There needs to be a more logical combination of non-functional and functional
uni-articular and multi-articular exercises for rehab and training instead of
the bias towards the simpler, more easily quantifiable methods of isolation
exercises on isokinetic and related machines. Some of those vastly overused
isolationist 'rotator cuff' exercises with light weights also tend to ignore
some perfectly good PNF patterns which address the same problem quite
competently and tend to dominate over more functional multi-articular
procedures.

Whenever I have used the terms 'open' and 'closed', I have done so with
certain reservations, since this classification scheme is not at all as clear
or accurate as often believed (I raised this issue in a much earlier Puzzle &
Paradox and considerable discussion of this appears in the archives of this
group).

Dr Mel C Siff
Littleton, CO, USA