Myself, I'd go for the ergot theory.  The medication I'm prescribed for the
migraines is based on caffeine and a refined ergotamine, and the dreams I have
after taking the concoction are to say the least supernatural. The theory runs
that as regulars in the Middle Ages so often subsisted on rye bread, and since
rye grain and flour are so readily contaminated with the ergot fungus, the
religious suffered regularly (!) from ergot poisoning and perhaps experienced
their "visions" as a result.

John Parsons