To DC-general list

Of course embedded metadata are harvested into different types of databases.  But people making embedded metadata are describing their own information about the resource embed*ded in the resource and don*t have the choice between one or more than one records = the choice not using 1:1 or using 1:1.

Other people than the creators of the metadata use this information for making databases. Of course they can generate more than one record based on one set of metadata in one resource. But if you are working with a cross-domain database about ressources on the net (e.g. with useful information for answering borrowers' requests in a library) you will generate one record for one resource.

My opion is that only for decribing a very limited number of records can the 1:1 have any practical use. I am sure it can be very useful for a collection of resources with photographs of paintings.

It is not without reason that librarians are doing analytical catalogueing, we are making extra records for parts of the publication (e.g. articles in a book) -not records for e.g. events described in a book or all the single photographs.

Regards
Leif

 Leif Andresen    *   Email: [log in to unmask]
 Library Advisory Officer
 Danish National Library Authority
 Nyhavn 31 E, DK-1051 Copenhagen K
 Phone direct: +45 3373 3354
 Phone: +45 3373 3373 *  Telefax: +45 3373 3372

>>> "Weibel,Stu" <[log in to unmask]> 04-12-98 13.49 >>>
The notion that there should be a difference between metadata that is embedded versus metadata that is held in a seperate database raises serious problems.
To tie the interpretation of metadata to whether it is embedded or exists somewhere 'out there' is a serious mistake that would cripple the potential usefulness of the metadata.  Interpretation of some  aspects of the metadata would be dependent upon the context, which means it could not be reliably separated from the resource it describes.

If Camp 1 is about those who would restrict their deployment of metadata to embedded metadata, and will never extract such data into a seperate database, and expect no one else to harvest such metadata as surrogates,
then I think it will be a small camp with limited prospects for interoperability.
I do not believe that is what Ricky was describing but I hope she will respond with a clarification.