I hope that CGFers can help me with a question I was recently asked by a
friend who is writing a book about Geography for 5-8 year olds. What are the
continents of the world ?
Well, it seems the standard response is: Africa, Asia, South America, North
American, Europe, Australiasia, Antarctica.

But, what is the basis of this taxonomy, what is a continent ? It is not a
single isolated land mass. Nor, is it  a 'tectonic plate'. Dictionary
definitions don't seem to help.

Maybe I have a fatal flaw in my general education as a Geographer and I
should know the answer to this, but I don't !

Of course, the 'real answer' is that it is a social construction. But, that
simply generates more questions: who created it, who normalised it ? Also,
what are the other constructions (South American, or Asian geographers might
have an entirely different taxonomy).

Maybe there's a simple answer ? Maybe there's a whole history of debate out
there. Can any body help? Two sorts of answers please. First, the 'grown up'
one. Second, what should I tell my friend (what should we tell 6 year olds
in a book about 'the world' and 'geography'?).

Andy C Pratt

Dr Andy C Pratt
Department of Geography and Environment
Houghton Street