Hello all,
This is just to announce that a copy of my paper "Geography and refugees:
some theoretical reflections" has gone online on the crit-geog-forum
website. The address is:
http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/crit-geog-forum/files/white.htm
Another copy of this paper is also available at the Popfest site:
http://come.to/popfest/
thanking you
Allen

Abstract follows:

In this paper I argue that research into asylum-seekers and refugees has
rested on a separation within Refugee Studies into two discursive
formations - one of 'asylum' and one of '(re)settlement'. I argue that
these two discursive formations occupy very different asylum spaces. In
'asylum' literature the scale is often transnational and global, whereas
the scale is sub national, more localised and often individualised in
'(re)settlement' literature. This dichotomy doesn't arise simply because of
particular types of research in refugee studies, instead it is linked to a
deeper, more structural separation in the discourses and institutional
framework of the refugee world and is the result of the under theorisation
of refugee flows in human geography. This is partly because the social
sciences and the humanities accept at face value legal discourses on
refugees, asylum and asylum-seeking, and also because refugee flows are not
seen in the context of international migration flows, and by extension
international migration theory. I conclude by arguing that refugee and
asylum institutions comprise a research 'space' that we can  use to
overcome this separation. Refugee and asylum institutions offer refugees
and asylum seekers access to social resources and resettlement networks as
well as being the places asylum law is given meaning and where asylum
claims and appeals are prepared etc.

Allen White                     email: [log in to unmask]
Lecturer in Human Geography     tel: 01570 424753
University of Wales Lampeter    fax: 01570 424714
Ceredigion SA 48 7 ED
Wales