Ronald Ingle writes:

>In BMJ 1998;317:1170 (31 October) Richard Peto writes that
>using "the uncertainty principle" simplifies entry criteria
>in randomised trials.
>
>I understand the ethical importance, but would like to
>understand how it simplifies things? Seems to me that it
>does not replace having entry criteria, and it complicates
>the responsibility of the clinicians whose recruitment to
>participating in trials Peto hopes to increase?

What a coincidence. This is the other article that I am presenting at our
journal club.

As I understand it, Peto does indeed intend for this to completely replace
entry criteria. Instead of the researchers restricting the medication to
specific age groups, to a specific gender, etc., Peto intends for the
clinicians who recruit patients to make all those judgements themselves.

A simplistic example would be the study of a drug that was restricted to men
or women beyond childbearing years because of the concern about teratogenic
effects. Using Peto's guidelines, a clinician could still include a 30 year
old woman in the study if she had a hysterectomy.

Granted, the planners of the study could have written that exception in, but
it is difficult to specify every possible contingency up front. The result,
I suspect, is entry criteria that are far too restrictive in practice.

It does make the job harder for the recruiting clinicians, but not any
harder than the choices that they would have to make in the absence of a
clinical trial.

It's a good proposal in my opinion, but perhaps too radical to survive the
scrutiny of most Institutional Review Boards.

Steve Simon, [log in to unmask], Standard Disclaimer.
STATS - Steve's Attempt to Teach Statistics: http://www.cmh.edu/stats