Hi All,
I've thought about this for a while, and finally decided to send it. Hence
the reference to a thread now some weeks old (Gosh, do I really need to
apologise for thinking about things for a few weeks?).
Doug.

RE: The Barry article
I agree that the primary debates should be about the way researchers
interact with available software.  However, I'm not convinced that more
general paradigms drawn on by the researchers (whether users or developers)
should be separated from this analysis.  Richards appears to set up a false
dichotomy, either we focus on an almost disembodied analysis of the
software and the research process, or we engage in sniping and analysis of
personalities.  I'm not particiularly interested in either sniping or
personalities, but I am interested in a researcher's more general
theoretical orientation to the research process, and how this affects the
use of computing packages.

One of the concerns I have with qualitative computer packages in general is
the tendancy to view them as the equivalent of statistical packages
available for analysing survey data.  It is almost as if we have forgotten
the reason for doing qualitative research in the first place.  At least in
the symbolic interactionist tradition that I am familiar with, the first
move is to emphasise that if you want to understand why people do things,
you have to understand the meanings they give to things.  Meanings are not
compartmentalised, but are developed as part of a person's overall
self-understanding.  If we apply this reflexively, to doing qualitative
data analysis with computers, then a legitimate question to ask is how does
data analysis fit into a person's more general approach to social research,
including general theoretical assumptions (say, whether they like
phenomenology or not).

Don't get me wrong - I think some of the new packages are extremely
helpful, and I've used them myself. I'm just trying to argue for a more
complex understanding of the selection of qualitative packages for data
analysis. Following the interpretative paradigm through to its full
implications, the reasons for choosing a package should be based on the
meanings and interpretations that researchers and developers bring to the
package, not on attempts to quantify the package's features. (Put another
way, for those schooled in SI heritage, I'm more influenced by the Chicago
school than Iowa.)

Perhaps a survey of users, if one is ever done, could include a question
about the general theoretical orientation that most informs their analysis.
Another way of doing it would be to do a content analysis of published
papers using various packages, comparing the package and the theory.
Though, things change so fast, this might not be useful.

There's a wonderful article , the author of which I forget, titled "how the
refrigerator got its hum".  The argument is, basically, that the humming
refrigerator eliminated its non-humming competition because it gained
greater market share through various aggressive advertising campaigns and
early entry into the market.  We use VHS video rather than Beta for the
same reason - it is an inferior technology, but everyone else is using it.
I can't help feeling that there are all sorts of political and marketing
process operating in a similar way that influence our choice of computing
package, and hence, that influence the way that qualitative research is
being done. I'm not wanting to suggest that the leading packages are
inferior, simply that they might not be chosen, for being conducive to
particular research designs or general theoretical paradigms, but for
reasons associated with availability and the like. But then, what's new?
Such is life!

Doug Ezzy

Lyn Richards wrote:
> She's carefully avoided stereotypes of users and
>concentrated on summarizing her conclusions about software tools and
>structures, strengths and weaknesses and their appropriateness to
>different research styles, not "types" of researchers.
Snip
>But none of these
>products is perfect, and that's the point - the paper does reopen the
>debate about software. What sort of access do researchers want to data,
>what sort of management and what sort of linking, and are they getting
>it with current software?
>Barry's paper raises new ones. They are important, and they are not
>about the personalities of users of 2 products - let alone the
>developers - but about  research goals and software tools.

Douglas Ezzy PhD

Sociology
University of Tasmania,
Hobart, 7001, Australia