As I embark on the which qualitative software to purchase, I find myself in the position of not knowing what questions to ask.  I am conducting a study of 63 classrooms within 9 schools.  My data includes classroom observations, teacher, administrator, student and parent interviews.  The question I am attempting to ask is "What works?" for at-risk students in terms of literacy development.  This open ended question requires that I have access to maximum analysis capabilities as I do not know what may be revealed from the data.  I am really comfortable with windows and would like software that has some quantitative capabilities.  I've done a search on the internet and Winmax seems quite confident.  I was wondering if anyone has any experience with WinMax and what your reaction, issues and recommendations would be as compared to Ethnograph, Code-a-text and Nudist?

Thank you for your time,

Ruanda Garth McCullough

Ruanda Garth McCullough
Consortium on Chicago School Research