In a message dated 11/16/98 1:56:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< SOME of the acupressure points coincide with trigger points, SOME of
 them with loci of nerve trunks, and many of them with neither of
 those. What links acupressure points together into one hodgepodge is a
 tradition that has been synthetic more than analytic >>

I have to agree with the "melting pot " idea of acupressure, trigger points,
nerve sights.  From what I have read so far (2nd yr. SPT) These methods are
all blended together, mixed nicely and used in a nontraditional form of
western PT.  If this idea is what you are interested in studying, then Tappan
is a good place to start.  If you are really just interested in acupressure
and a modality then maybe you might want to change your course and talk to
"pure" acupressure practitioners.  Then see how you can then apply their
practice to the clinical PT setting.

Another option is to redefine your goal.  Look for one specific area in PT
where acupressure could be used as a treatment and go from there.  Currently
at the U of Maryland Eastern Shore we are working on project studying P6
acupressure on the effects of sensory conflict (motion sickness).

Good luck

Dave Bender