Recently I've had two abdominally challenged gentlemen c/o lumbosacral
pain.  Both present with significant diastasis recti of 7cm and 10cm.
Currently both are performing abdominal crunches with lateral support
provided by a back brace belt.  I've found no literature on the condition
and have never encountered the degree of separation these gentlemen
present.
Questions:
                 Is surgical intervention ever indicated?
                 With this degree of separation are crunches contraindicated?

Any knowledgeable suggestions appreciated.

                 Thanks  Hans Meissnest, P.T.