Thanks for asking, George.  I was wondering if it would be appropriate to
mention a book I've enjoyed and that might be helpful to others.  Now, in
response to your urging, here it is.

Lewis, Archibald; and Runyan, Timothy J.
   *European Naval and Maritime History, 300--1500*.  Bloomington: Indiana
University Press, 1985.

Questions arise concerning the feasiblity and even the possibility of
travel on the high seas by various and sundry in the Middle Ages.  This
book answers at least some of those questions.

The book provides two types of information:
    A summary of seaborne commerce and trade routes in the period; and
    A description of the types of ships used, their construction, and
    their performance.

I cannot vouch for the info re maritime trade.  However, the memories I
have been able to dredge up from the ship construction and stability
course I took as an undergrad, coupled with what I learned on the north
Atlantic, lead me to give high marks to their discussion of how ships were
built and used in the Medieval era.

If the question of the possibility of one travelling by sea from one point
to another arises, Lewis and Runyan *will* help.  If they themselves do
not supply the answer, one of the works in their ample annotated
bibliography will, if an answer is to be found.

The presence of useful pictures and diagrams is augmented by the absence
of unexplained technical terms and jargon.

I saw copies on sale at Kalamazoo this spring for around $17.

This probably is not a book to add to your library, but it's the best I've
seen on naval architecture in the Middle Ages.  When a question concerning
whether missionaries could find ships to navigate the high seas, Lewis and
Runyan will help.

Frank Morgret
15 Towering Hts -- #1206
St Catharines, Ontario