Dear Claire,

Your suggestion that the four crosses might stand for the evangelists is
certainly not farfetched, but you might want to consider two points:

1) The four dimensions of the Cross were associated not only with the four
evangelists (and with the tetramorph), but also with many other biblical
and cosmic quaternaries, such as the four rivers of paradise, cardinal
virtues, seasons of the year, elements (fire and water, air and earth),
partes terrae (i.e. East-West, North-South, sorry, I don't know the English
term for "Himmelsrichtungen"), etc.

2) I have done some (not very extensive) research on patristic and (early)
medieval interpretations and representations of the four evangelists, and
have never found them represented as, or associated with, four crosses, at
least not in explicit or otherwise unmistakeable form.

For both reasons, I would hesitate to assign this specific meaning to the
four crosses in question, unless you can find more concrete evidence
supporting this interpretation. After all, there is a good possibility that
these four crosses are primarily ornamental and serve, in addition, to
highlight the fourfold structure of the Cross in its general symbolical
relevance, but do not refer to one of the traditional significates
specifically.

Kind regards,

  Otfried

Otfried Lieberknecht, Schoeneberger Str. 11, D-12163 Berlin
phone & fax: ++49 30 8516675, E-mail: [log in to unmask]
  Homepage for Dante Studies:
http://members.aol.com/lieberk/welcome.html
  Listowner of Italian-Studies:
http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies/