Apologies for cross postings...

I'm a graduate student looking at Andrea Mantegna's half-length narrative
paintings.  He seems to be the first to put narrative scenes into this
format, and I'm interested in the fact that the three subjects he chose to
depict in this manner -- The Presentation in the Temple, The Adoration of
the Magi, and Ecce Homo -- all deal with the idea of those who do and do
not recognize Christ.  This idea is made more obvious than might me
expected in the Ecce Homo, because instead of Pilate or Roman soldiers
presenting Christ, it is the Jews, made explicit here by their costumes.
So, any thoughts?  Can anyone point me toward any 15thc or earlier
information -- devotional literature, sermons, etc. -- that deal with the
idea of those who do and do not recognize Christ, or modern scholarship on
this idea?  How about the *idea* of recognition in a new type of devotional
work, a half-length narrative, or in devotional works in general?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions,

Courtney

Courtney Ann Hanson
Graduate Student, Art History
University of Oregon