> I am using a transcribed will, of Thomas Tobie of Newcastell, barber
> surgeon, dated Nov.7 1585. It includes the passage:
>
> I give my son George Tobie to my frend Rauffe Tate, with the book of
> Marters, the Erball, the Bible, Johannis de Vigo, Bullins booke, with a
> metall pott and a bason.
>
> Can anyone suggest any likely further details of the books, including what
> edition of the bible, if that can be surmised?

Bible - can't say with any certainty about the edition. Do you know
if Tobie could only read English?

"the book of Marters" = Foxe's Book of Martyrs (otherwise "History
of the Acts and Monuments of the Church")

"the Erball" - probably a herbal. There are several possibilties.

Johannis de Vigo or Giovanni da Vigo (fl. 1500) was a medical
writer.

"Bullins book" - possibly William Bullein's "Bulwarke of defence
against all sicknesse" (16th century). Bullein spent some time as a
doctor in Durham.

Looks as if your man was concerned about his health!
Lesley Gordon

Dr Lesley Gordon,
Special Collections,
The Robinson Library,
University of Newcastle upon Tyne,
Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HQ

Tel 0191 222 7671   Fax 0191 222 6235
"If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man
 but deteriorate the cat." (Mark Twain)