North Western Regional Library System (NWRLS)

With apologies for cross-posting

News Release     For immediate release     27 November 1998

VIRTUAL GATEWAY TO THE NORTH WEST

NWRLS launches its web site

The North Western Regional Library System (NWRLS) has launched its web site at
<http://www.nwrls.org.uk>, a one-stop shop which aims to contain all the information which NWRLS members are likely to need in their daily use of the Regional Library System.

The site contains homepage, index, facts and figures, a guide to NWRLS services, projects and partnerships, NEWSPLAN, information on the Unity system, a calendar of activities, and hypertext links to NWRLS members. Also on the site are links to the national libraries, Regional Library Systems, and library and information organisations.

"This is an exciting new venture for us and another vehicle for communicating with our members," said Councillor Sid Jacobs, the Chair of NWRLS, at the 1998 AGM. "By enhancing and opening up our services, the web site will contribute to expanding the organisation's activities and give added value to our customers and our partners. As a 'virtual' hub for the regional network, the web site offers a fast and up-to-date source of regional on-line information plus, through annotated hyperlinks, a bridge to the national network."

Deborah Ryan, NWRLS Company Secretary, adds: "This gives us the opportunity to enlarge awareness of NWRLS' activities and of those of the library and information sector in the North West. It plays a key part in our expanding role in support of major Government objectives such as  lifelong learning, social inclusion, empowerment, and European collaboration".

On the NEWSPLAN Web pages, John Byford, Head of the British Library Newspaper Library, has commented: "Your web site is a good example of how the co-operative has moved towards making its collections more accessible . . . you must be pleased that the work of the Regional Library System is appreciated, not just by other librarians, but also by a wider public".

Latest additions to the site include host pages for the North West Open Learning Group and the North West European Information Group. "We also plan to mount password-protected directories for committee papers, our publications and guides, plus policy documents and current information", Deborah Ryan adds. "Feedback from members will be a crucial element in the content review".

/ends

Notes to Editors

1.  A promotional leaflet on the NWRLS web site is enclosed [snail-mail recipients only].

2.  A photograph of Cllr Sid Jacobs, and photographs from the AGM on 26 November 1998, are available from NWRLS (see 4, below).

3.  The North Western Regional Library System (NWRLS) is a cross-sectoral co-operative bringing together rich library resources for the benefit of the public. It works to increase access to these resources and promotes all aspects of co-operation between information providers in the North West Region and within the UK and Ireland. There are 54 members, from public, academic and special libraries.

4.  For further information on NWRLS contact:
Deborah Ryan, Company Secretary, NWRLS, Central Library, St. Peteršs Square, Manchester M2 5PD.
Tel: 0161 234 1947.  Fax: 0161 236 3813.  E-mail: [log in to unmask]

5.	For further information on the NWRLS web site contact:
	Nigel Rudyard, Information Officer, NWRLS, Central Library, St. Peteršs Square Manchester M2 5PD
Tel: 0161 234 1946.  Fax: 0161 236 3813.  E-mail: [log in to unmask]

6.  News release issued for NWRLS by Pat Wressell & Associates.
Tel: 0191 281 3502.  Fax: 0191 212 0146.  E-mail: [log in to unmask]