Dear Rossella,

some further research suggests that Montale may be talking
about the flying gurnard (Dactylopterus volitans), which
is, quite literally, a fish which flys. A 'gallinella' may
be a 'gurnard', according to EURODICAUTOM, and the recipe I
sent earlier on suggests that the gurnard is eaten along
the Ligurian coast. So while I can't find any reference to
the flying gurnard as 'gallinella di mare', there may be a
local Ligurian usage (of which early Montale is
particularly fond, especially given the ambiguity here)
which identifies the fish in flight with a bird at swim.

Cercasi pescatore ligure!

George