Hi Judith

you wrote...

> >43.7% pay for some or all of their access to list messages - please bear
> >this in mind when sending messages to the list! No long quotes, no
> >personal messages, please.
>
> I'm not sure how to interpret this.
> I pay for internet access: a flat rate for 200 hours per month.
> However, there is no per-hour charge for long-distance phone or
> other usage.

Sorry. There is UK angle on this issue. We often have guaranteed
numbers of hours (Personally, I have very cheap unlimited access at
home through Demon). However, we do pay for all our local telephone
calls on a second by second basis, which means that long download times
tend to cause great annoyance here (especially for people with slow
hardware). I have a very fast machine at home and it doesn't really
bother me that much. In reality, we're talking about very small amounts
of money but the principle gets people's back up much more here than it
does in North America, where local calls are usually free.

Hope that explains

Best Wishes

Mark Priestley
Disability Research Unit