I'm inclined to go with "ableism" Don't think it's a good term, but it
fits best in the list, it is a term that has been used enough that it
may be gaining some recognition, and I agree with Ron about problems
with disablement - having people clearly understanding that the
problem is oppression not cause of impairment.
Some of Mairian's suggestions re other wording might help clarify our
issues as well.
             simi linton

---Mairian Corker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Anita,
>
> I agree with Ron about the term 'disablement' (over here of course
it would
> be disability) and all the others, but I think the word has to be
read in
> context and in fairness the complete statement does say other 'forms
of
> domination'(which will sure remain). Perhaps reservations about
language
> could be resolved by strengthening the wording of the rest of the
statement
> to include terms like 'institutionalised oppression' and forms of
> domination to be amended to something like 'forms of (structural?
social?
> linguistic? cultural? political? economic? domination'. The other
> possibility is to include a footnote until they get used to the idea.
>
> However, another thing I would struggle with is that there are many
> disabled people who would not come under our meaning of disablement
but are
> nevertheless oppressed. I do wish that somehow we could begin to think
> about both 'being' and 'becoming' but maybe that's a philosophical
question
> for the disability movement to consider rather than an answer to your
> specific question?
>
> Cheers
>

> Mairian
>

> >I think the problem in choosing a term to use in this context is
that most
> >of the readers of the term will be naive about the term's political
context.
> >This is especially obvious with respect to the RPA from the
background you
> >give about the issue came up in the first place.
> >
> >One important question is how the membership of RPA is going to
interpret
> >the term 'disablement' (or whatever is chosen).  My bet would be
that, to
> >them, 'disablement' will simply be seen as referring to the
causation of
> >impairments.  Social factors such as pollutants and unsafe cars
cause people
> >to loose their sight or the use of their legs, and those social
factors will
> >be thought of as 'disablement'.  In other words, 'disablement' makes
> >disabled people out of able bodied people, and we radicals don't
want that
> >to happen.
> >
> >As _we_ all know, the social factors that radical philosophers
ought to be
> >thinking about are the ones that create disadvantages for people
who are
> >_already_ blind, paralyzed, etc., etc., not (particularly) the
factors that
> >lead to blindness and paralysis.  I don't think the term
'disablement' is
> >likely to be understood in that way.
> >
> >If the members of RPA understood the term 'disablement' the way we
do, I
> >think the term would be fine.  But I don't think they do, and I
don't think
> >the use of the term is likely to lead to their enlightenment.
> >
> >But I don't have any great alternatives.  I don't like "ableism",
even
> >though it does fit nicely into the "racism, sexism" rhythm. And
"oppression
> >of people with disabilities" isn't very chantable.   We do need a
new curse,
> >I think.
> >

> >Ron

Statement of
> >>Purpose reads as
> >>follows -
> >>"RPA members struggle against capitalism, racism, sexism,
homophobia,
> >>environmental ruin and all other forms of domination."
> >>
> >>The domination of PWDs is now to be elevated from the catch-all
"other
> >>forms of domination" category to its own place in the list of RPA
targets.
> >>The question is, What word shall be used to describe this form of
> >>domination against which RPA members henceforth shall explicitly
struggle.

> >>My personal inclination is to use the expression "disablement".
> >
> >>What is of concernis whether "disablement" is the most felicitous
> >>expression to use in the RPA statement of purpose, or whether
there is a
> >>better expression.  I would guess that U.K./Canadian listmembers
will be
> >>more comfortable with identifying "disablement" as the target of
> >>social struggle than U.S. listmembers will be, but that may turn
out not
> >>to be the case.
> >>
> >>PLEASE LET US HAVE YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS IN REGARD TO THIS MATTER
ASAP.

> *********
>
> "To understand what I am doing, you need a third eye"
>
> *********
>
> Mairian Corker
> Senior Research Fellow
> University of Central Lancashire
> c/o 111 Balfour Road
> Highbury
> London N5 2HE
> U.K.
>
> Minicom/TTY      +44 [0]171 359 8085
> Fax              +44 [0]870 0553967
> Typetalk (voice) +44 [0]800 515152 (and ask for minicom/TTY number)

==
Simi Linton
212 580 9280 (phone and fax)