I'd like to ask for futher clarification of why 1:1 "doesn't work"...

In my experience with AMICO data, and (or at least this is what I heard
John Perkins say) in the CIMI Testbed, 1:1 was essential for maintaining
clarity and integrity in metadata records. We've found in assembling the
first AMICO dataset that implied meaning, no matter how clear within an
insitution gets lost as soon as data moves into an inter-institutional
environment. Explicit metadata is the only way to make things unambiguous.

The way I see it, 1:1 is just a case of describing the 'object in hand'.
And since there isn't a way of linking repeating elements in DC, it is also
the only way to ensure that records make logical sense.

There was talk at DC 6 about "embedding" metadata from one record within
another. I'm struggling to understand this, because I can't see how it
differs from 1:1, and would like to speak with an example.

I'm using the Mummy that John borrowed at the DC6 meeting -- that image can
be found at http://www.amico.net/docs/dataspec.final3.shtml  I'm running
fast and loose without any qualifiers, and as a result have had to force
the Art Institute of Chicago into being a Publisher. ... "I want my DCQ"

ID: AIC_.1910.238
Creator: Egyptian, Possibly from Thebes
Title: Mummy Case of Paankhenamun