On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Sean Phelan wrote:

> Are there any directories or other sites that are making use of
> the DC.coverage tags ?

I have been somewhat encouraging use of DC.Coverage and have written
odd HTML with "DC.Coverage.Placename" based on GETTY-style hierarchy.

There is a possible crosswalk between the DC Coverage numeric elements and
the FDGC   (probably scrambled the acronym here...) geographic database
metadata, such as used by GIS (geographic information systems) tools such
as ARC/info. This metadata enables things such as piecing together
satellite and aerial photos taken by different cameras, retrieving data
with a spatial query etc.
Some enquiries I made last year suggest that there is a sound mathematical
basis for 2D and 3D spatial searching, and that it is a moderately active
field.

I was thinking to try a pilot Web spider to index some DC.coverage
but haven't had time.

The Canadian site MapleSquare is (was?) using a "Location" HTML tag
in a similar manner to DC.Coverage.Placename to build lists, I believe.

regards

Andrew Daviel
Vancouver Webpages & TRIUMF