As instigator and reporter of that breakout group in Washington, allow
me to clarify.  A significant portion of the community has felt that 1:1
was declared to be consensus after Helsinki and that differing opinions
expressed at Helsinki were... well, let's say they got lost in the
shuffle.

Many implementers (every one I know of) have found it operationally
necessary to create descriptions which may violate 1:1 to the extent
that any of us actually understand it.  There is widespread concern that
the slogan of 1:1 not constrain implementers from fulfilling real needs.
>From our reading of the RDF spec, it appears that RDF is completely
capable of supporting the models that implementers require.  Our
conclusions were

-- If 1:1 (as we understand it) does *not* enable implementers to
accomplish the requirements expressed, specific expressed user needs
are not addressed and a supplementary technique must be supported to
address those needs.

If 1:1 *does* enable implementers to accomplish the requirements
expressed, then the concept appears to accommodate user needs.

In *either* case

--   1:1 must be revisted to determine its usefulness as a DC precept
--   User needs must be determined and addressed
--   1:1 should be formally adopted, allowed, or rejected as a coding
         technique
--   If adopted or allowed, it must be codified in DC standards,
         and guidelines should be developed for its application.

--Robin

Robin Wendler  ........................     work  (617) 495-3724
Office for Information Systems  .......     fax   (617) 495-0491
Harvard University Library  ...........     [log in to unmask]
Cambridge, MA, USA 02138  .............