Subject: Eugenics
Date:    04-Nov-98 at 18:02
From:    INTERNET:marxismists.panix.com, INTERNET:marxismists.panix.com
TO: INTERNET:marxismists.panix.com
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 00:58:37 -0800
From: Paul Flewers <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Re the recent correspondence on eugenics.

Britain's New Labour has resurrected the notion of the 'undeserving
poor' under the euphemism of the 'socially excluded'. I think that the
welfare think-tanks will go in the future towards the idea of a
eugenical solution, that is, to make sure that the problem families,
drug addicts, petty criminals, long-term unemployed, teenage mothers and
others that officialdom see as a drain on welfare funds will be
discouraged from having children. As chemical contraceptive devices
preventing several years of conception are becoming available, no
permanent sterilisation will be needed. Getting welfare money will
probably be based upon people's 'good' behaviour, including refraining
from having children.

One real problem is that whilst practically everyone in Britain is
opposed to racially-based eugenical programmes, quite a few people would
not oppose them based on social grounds. In the absence of a strong
working-class movement that can force the bourgeoisie to finance schemes
that can reduce the three million or so unemployment total and give some
hope to the really downtrodden poor, I think that such coercive social
policies will not meet with much opposition, and only a few isolated
voices will speak out.

Paul Flewers
New Interventions