Many years ago I used to carry out a little risk assessment exercise
whenever there was IRA activity -- compare that week's score of
deaths and injuries in N Ireland with those due to fires and
explosions in the homes of people who could not afford safe forms of
heat. The Gas Board won every time. If one wishes there were no
civil war in one's own (or anyone else's) country, it is necessary to
understand that poverty and inequality already kill. The people who
join armed groups know this already, which is why they join.

\

> The question I have is this: what is the general explanation for the
> rejection of the idea of personal guilt for large-scale social phenomena
> among the academic community? I do not think this is specific to Britain,
> but the evasion of the issue of Thatcher's guilt is a good example in
> western Europe The Pinochet incident was the inspiration of this site:
> does guilt for policy stop at the boundary of Europe?
> -----------------------------
>
> www.xs4all.nl/~censored/thatcher.html
> How many people did Thatcher kill?
>
> Wieviele Menschen hat Thatcher getoetet?
> www.telepolis.de/tp/deutsch/inhalt/co/2516/1.html

Mel Bartley
Dept of Epidemiology and Public Health
University College London Medical School
1-19 Torrington Place
London WC1E 6BT
tel: 0171 391 1707
fax: 0171 813 0242