My goodness, what are things coming to? I will be asking for
copyright when I write letters to people next (how about referees'
comments??) Talk about 'the commodification of everything'.

> ==============================
> COPYRIGHT OF EMAIL MESSAGES
> ==============================
>
> Recently we've had some questions about the copyright of messages sent
> to Mailbase lists, and this message should answer a few of the questions
> and correct some common misapprehensions.
>
> A Summary
> -----------
>
> 1. Copyright law stops other people from using and abusing your original work.
>
> 2. Email messages are creative works and therefore copyrighted.
>
> 3. All your email messages are copyrighted to you (or your employer)
>
> 4. You do not have to register this copyright - it exists automatically.
>
> 5. When you post to a public list you do not lose copyright,
>    but your message may be:
> 	- archived
> 	- forwarded to other lists
> 	- quoted by others
>
> 6. Messages sent to a list should not be:
> 	- quoted out of context
> 	- changed or reworded
> 	- mis-attributed
>

> ****
>
> 1. What is copyright?
>
> If you are the author or maker of an original creative work, copyright
> law gives you the right to exclude others from using your work in
> certain ways. You should be able to control who makes copies, or
> creates a work derived from yours.
>
> ****
>
> 2. What can be copyrighted?
>
> You can claim copyright on your own CREATIVE and ORIGINAL work once it
> exists in a written or otherwise tangible format.
>
> Anything you write whether in English or C++, will be a creative work,
> as will anything you photograph, or draw. Email messages, handwritten
> notes, books, computer programs and webpages are all creative works and
> they are all protected by copyright.
>
> ****
>
> 3. How do you register copyright?
>
> Copyright exists automatically from the moment that a creative work is
> given tangible form - as in a webpage or email message. It does not need
> to be registered.
>
> *****
>
> 4. Who owns the copyright?
>
> The first owner of the copyright is the author, except where the work is
> made by an employee in the course of their employment, in which case the
> employer is the first owner. So, if you are sending email in the course
> of your work, your employer may be the owner of the copyright on your
> email messages.
>
> But Mailbase does not own the copyright of messages sent to our lists,
> and nor does the list administrator.
>
> ****
>
> 5. Messages posted to public lists - Implied Licence (what is allowed)
>
> Sending a message to a public discussion list has been compared to
> sending a letter to the editor of a newsletter. This would be
> regarded as intended for publication (an implied licence) unless there
> was clear evidence to the contrary.

> [...]
Mel Bartley
Dept of Epidemiology and Public Health
University College London Medical School
1-19 Torrington Place
London WC1E 6BT
tel: 0171 391 1707
fax: 0171 813 0242