I'm sure that you're all aware of this. But you know that one of the key
points on the agenda for the next World Trade Organisation is the small
matter of Intellectual Property Rights/Ownership. As you will be aware this
is a key issue in all of the cultural industries (let's include education
for the sake of argument). The whole economic possibility of there being
individual ownership (and the economic monopoly rights, way of earning a
living under capitalism) is under question. Not surprisingly large
organisations are claiming a change in the position such that all of the
thoughts and actions that a person has when in another's employ reverts to
the employer (or something like this).
Both the aspects of the political economy and the SSK angles would repay
some serious academic endeavour. But, as I say some people are already
making a start.

	Dr Andy C Pratt
	Department of Geography and Environment
	Houghton Street
	London WC2A 2AE
	Tel: +44 (0)171 955 7588
	Fax: +44 (0)171 955 7412

	**details of our new MSc Cities, Space and Society programme
	and MSc Human Geography Research (with 2 ESRC studentships)
	are on our web pages: please tell your students !!!
	 http://www.lse.ac.uk/graduate/geography/taught.shtml
<http://www.lse.ac.uk/graduate/geography/taught.shtml>
and http://www.lse.ac.uk/depts/geography/msc_cities.htm
<http://www.lse.ac.uk/depts/geography/msc_cities.htm>