In message <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] writes
>Did you all see the latest BMJ in which there was a short article about two
>doctors who wittnessed a young woman collapsing at the end of a half marathon?
>They tried to help but she died.   At the inquest they were given the third
>degree (the piece implies this was in an aggressive manner) by a solicitor
>acting for her family and there was a suggestion, I thought, that they were
>worried about possibly being sued.  Anyway they seemed to be saying they felt
>vulnerable and that the process was not pleasant.
>What do you think about this?

On a personal level, I wonder at the twisted motives of the ingrates
that advised and represented the bereaved at the inquest. I wonder also
what the coroner was doing allowing such malice in his jurisdiction.
There will be many who sympathize with the sentiments of one of the
"accused" that in future he would just walk on by. This is always
assuming that our colleagues actually didn't actually do anything
harmful.

My understanding is that there is no LAW that requires us (any medical
professional) to assist in such cases. Conscience and professional
ethics are what compel us (usually) to assist. We answer to ourselves
(and God) for the former and to the GMC/UKCC for the latter.

This week there was also a news item about some Nurses being reprimanded
by their professional body for declining to assist at a RTA outside
their nursing home. Were they worried that they might not have
sufficient resus / trauma experience to safely assist, or did they
prefer to take their chances with the UKCCs professional misconduct
committee rather than be pilloried at an inquest?