>From my perspective of living in rural Victoria; Melbourne Victoria and in
a country city such as Rockhampton, Queensland, what one person would
define as a "block" would be completely different to what another would.

I used to walk from home to the main street whilst living in a country
Victorian town - this was exactly 2 blocks or approximately 140 metres. The
sizing of the blocks were, however, different throughout the town. This
depended on whether there was an alley slicing through one block and not
another, which part of town you were in etc.

These problems of differing sizes for blocks appear to have been carried
throughout the places in Australia I have lived since.

Good luck with your investigations as you seem to have a difficult
definition problem on your hands.