We have been using NUD*IST 4 for a research project and encounter now a problem concering the IndexSystem in NUD*IST. After creating a number of Free Nodes which are very close to the text material we now try to form more abstract categories that emerge out of the Free Nodes.
NUD*IST's IndexSystem requires nodes first to be attached to the root. This first-level-nodes may then have children and grand chidren. Our strategy, however, starts from a number of children (Free Nodes) that are to become parents on a more and more abstract level. So, we are looking for key categories on a rather theoretical level. Since we want to achive this while working with the IndexSystem we cannot at first create nodes close to the root. The top of the pyramid should finally represent the result of our integration process but not the beginning.
Is there a feature in NUD*IST to create a Parent Node out of  two (base) nodes? And can this new Parent Node later have a Grand parent node together with another node?

Thanks in advance!

Andreas Bernt-Baertl
Frankfurt University