> a computer as a playback machine.  So, I'm very interested in trying to
> ascertain if any slowed down audio of any kind is possible on a PC.  For
> instance, while .wav files can't be slowed down, does the audio "track" of
> a slowed down PC video go as slow as the video?  Does it play at all?
> Also, is there no way of rewriting a program to make .wav files playable at
> altered speeds (and pitchs, of course, given that voices become inaudibly
> low in pitch when slowed down signifintly).

Christian,
there is software around that can be used for transcribing. I myself use
"Goldwave" (check "http://www.goldwave.com/") for transcribing on the
PC. Goldwave lets you slow down the sound (e.g. a *.wav-file) just like
my old transcribing machine does. It can do more however (e.g. you can
anonymize episodes by inserting beeps over names or reverting the
sound).
For playing video (*.avi) on the PC, I use the standard WIndows media
player. There is a player called "ladybug" (I don't have the web-site at
hand) which lets you play e.g. *.avi-files in slow motion (with the
sound) but unfortunately this is no good for navigating in the movie.

Best regards,
Christoph Meier
Dr. Christoph Meier
Institut fuer Soziologie