Subject:       Re: which package?
Author:  PC:[log in to unmask] at SAGELINK
Date:    09/10/98 11:24

Dear Lis

I was recently in a similar position to you and having trialled both
packages opted for Atlas/ti. You probably have the addresses for
downloading trial packages but just in case, they are:

http://www.atlasti.de/download.htm

and

http://www.sagepub.com/sagepage/NUDIST_download.htm

I am currently using it to analyse interviews with medical and
nursing students and observations of performance in practice (field
notes). I found I preferred it because it sat most comfortably with
the grounded theory methodological approach that I had selected.

However, I was perhaps most influenced by what I considered to be its
more user friendly layout and for me more logical display. Please
note however that I am a novice with computer software packages.

You might also find the  Weitzman EA, Miles, MB (1995) Computer
Programs for Qualitative Data Analysis, Sage, useful as a source of
info. (This I understand is currently being updated but still
provides a good review in its current form).

Hope these ramblings are of some use

Stuart Cable
Researcher/Lecturer
School of Nursing and Midwifery