In a message dated 10/3/98 7:00:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Recently in an APA abstract:  Chronic pain patients were compared and
 categorized.  Patients who have Rheumatoid Arthritis were compared to
patients
 who have Fibromyalgia.  30% of the patients with RA demonstrated severe
 psychological disorders compared to 88% of patients with Fibro.  Amazing.
Any
 comments about this? >>

Dear Karen,

These percentages seem consistent with what I have seen in my clinic.
Although, I must question the meaning of "severe" psychological disorders.  It
seems that the majority of (if not all) patients with fibromyalgia (FM) suffer
from depression of varying degrees.  I am not a psychologist, but I am
beginning to feel that FM may be purely a manifestation of depression.
Sources that I have read describe that the painful tissues show normal micro-
anatomy, unlike MFPS.  So is FM purely a psychological disorder?  Does this
explain the insomnia?

I have tried many standard and nonstandard treatment approaches for my FM
patients.  Unfortunately, only about 10% of these patients have shown
significant improvement.  Am I missing something?  It is interesting that my
success rate is about the same percentage of FM patients without depression in
the abstract you describe.  So are FM patients seeing the wrong type of
therapist?  Or is FM a garbage term for undiagnosed conditions?

I find FM a fascinating topic, but unfortunately I'd rather read about it than
treat it.  Help!

Nick