At 09:01 12/10/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Bill,
>
>I have not been following your postings as closely as I might, but the
>most recent reference to cranmer brought back a question I had intended to
>ask earlier, "Is there an overall pattern to cranmer's editing of the
>collection?  A theme or set of themes?"
>
>tom izbicki

When we come to Advent, as we shall very shortly, we shall find that Cranmer
began by composing entirely fresh collects, longer than the Latin ones and
much more explicitly scriptural.  I think he turned to the Latin collects
'faute de mieux', realising that he would run out of time if he tried to
compose his own prayer for every Sunday;  and the BCP was produced under
great pressure of time.  His translations are usually fairly close.  One
theme we have noticed is the insistence on the need for Grace.  This was of
course a prominent feature of the original collects, but Cranmer often makes
it more so;  whatever else he was, he was not a Pelagian. So he takes out
anything that could be interpreted as suggesting that we have any merits of
our own. And he is careful to expunge any suggestion of the intercession of
the saints.

Bill.