     Tinho

     I think the organisation most directly and proprietorially concerned with
     high and low water marks is probably the Crown Estate Office, as these
     marks are the upper and lower limits of the foreshore as Crown property.
     The Crown Estate Office might know if any organisation has digitised such
     data for legal and administrative purposes.

     At the Forum on Maps and Plans, staged by the Public Record Office on 14
     March 1990 at the annual meeting of Record Officers in Government
     Departments, one of the speakers, Peter Davies, of the Crown Estate Office,
     gave a paper on his office's use of maps and plans for monitoring the
     Crown's legal property interest in foreshore encroachment.  I remember, I
     think, that the discussion also turned to the tidewater photograpy flown by
     the RAF, originally for OS, but later for DoE, to monitor coastal change,
     particularly in estuaries.

     I hope that, eight years later, there may be enough information here to
     enable your colleague to get in touch with the office and people he
     probably needs to talk to.

     Andrew

     Dr A S Cook
     Map Archivist
     India Office Records
     The British Library
     96 Euston Road                E-mail: [log in to unmask]
     London NW1 2DB                  Phone: +44 171 412 7828
     United Kingdom                    Fax: +44 171 412 7858