Dear colleagues,

Peter Dinzelbacher, historian in Salzburg, has asked me about the custom
witnessed by Petrarch at his arrival in Cologne (fam. 1,5), when on the
evening of the day of St. John the Baptist he saw the women of Cologne
gathering at the Rhine and washing their hands and arms in the river, an
old custom explained to Petrarch as an annual ablution intended to wash
away the calamities of the coming years. Dinzelbacher would be interested
to find literature dealing with this custom or with Petrarch's account
thereof. I have to admit that I don't know of anything specific, but will
have a chance on Tuesday to check some bibliographies. In the meantime, if
you happen to have any pointers, I would be grateful to receive them (and
would forward them to Dinzelbacher).

Thanking you in advance,

  Otfried

Otfried Lieberknecht, Schoeneberger Str. 11, D-12163 Berlin
phone & fax: ++49 30 8516675, E-mail: [log in to unmask]
  Homepage for Dante Studies:
http://members.aol.com/lieberk/welcome.html
  Listowner of Italian-Studies:
http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies/