In <v03130301b2399721a538@[169.237.50.87]>, Brenda Schildgen wrote:
>A student writing her doctoral thesis on Erminio dell'Oro, among other
>post-colonial women writers, is trying to find the best library in
>Italy to
>support her work. Does anyone on the italian-studies list have a
>tentative
>answer to that request?

A tricky question. My personal preference is the National Library in
Florence, particularly if you can get hold of the magic red tessera
which gives you access to the room reserved for studiosi. The computer
catalogue works quite well and the staff are, in the main, friendly
and efficient. There are of course some problems. The flood destroyed
a lot of books and many publishers just don't bother to send the books
to them which I think is a disgrace.

I'm sure colleagues will have a variety of suggestions, but the
National in Florence is a good start. There are stacks of other
libraries in Florence which would also be useful. It goes without
saying that it's also a nice place ...

With best wishes,

Phil Cooke

--