>I'd love to have the facility of ringing or emailing a national NHS
library and having the fulltext
>faxed or emailed by return..

Well if the National Electronic Library for Health really takes off (IM&T
strategy paras. 3.50 et seqq.) we may have a core of it! If you want access
PDQ to the world's resources you can become an institutional member of the
British Library, or try out services such as Blackwell's UnCover, both of
which are not inexpensive.

One aspect of the idea of the regional model of NHS library services is
that the local NHS library, whatever its strengths and weaknesses, is a
gateway to the wider resources of the region or to national collections
such as British Library or BMA. Hence by ringing or emailing or faxing the
local library it should be possible to have reasonably prompt access to (in
principle) any document required: i.e. using the local resource as the
one-stop-shop, without oneself having to think about the multiplicity of
possible sources from which documents might be obtained.

Jonathan Hutchins, Library Services Manager
Royal Surrey County Hospital
Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey GU2 5XX
tel: 01483 464138   fax: 01483 576240
So what? I thought. If we start electing
presidents on tne basis of their sexual purity,
some *real* monsters will get into the White House.
               (Hunter S.Thompson, February 1992)