apologies for cross-posting

UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGICAL STUDIES

Senior Lecturer/Reader in European Social Policy

Applications are invited for this new senior post from social scientists
with expertise in research and teaching in the field of European Social
Policy. The post will be tenable from 1st January 1999 or as soon as
possible thereafter.

Applicants should have a proven capacity for security research funding, a
record of high quality publications and experience of supervising masters
and doctoral students. It is likely that the successful candidate will have
already established collaborative links with researchers and/or others in
one or more European Countries and the further development of this network
with colleagues in Sheffield will be an important responsibility of this
post. Experience in the analysis of large data sets would be an advantage.

The successful candidate will be expected to play a key role in the work of
the Globalisation and Social Policy research cluster in the Department, and
to contribute to the teaching of European Social Policy across the
curriculum, notably to the development of a new MA in Globalisation and
Social Welfare.

Salary will be within the range £29,968-£33,866.

Further particulars are available from the Director of Human Resource
Management, University of Sheffield, PO Box 594, Firth Court, Western Bank,
Sheffield S10 2UH (Tel: 0114-279-9800) to whom 3 copies of the application,
including a full CV and the names and addresses of three referees
should be sent by 6th November 1998.

Informal enquiries are welcome and should be addressed to Professor Tim
Booth (Tel: 0114-222-6423; email: [log in to unmask]) or to Professor
Alan Walker (Tel: 0114-222-6466; email: [log in to unmask]).

Tim Booth
Professor of Social Policy
Department of Sociological Studies
University of Sheffield
Sheffield S10 2TU
Tel.:  0114 2226423 (direct)
       0114 2222000 (s/board)
Fax:   0114 2768125

Department of Sociological Studies Home Page :
http://www.shef.ac.uk/uni/academic/R-Z/socst/

Tracey Warren
Department of Sociological Studies
Elmfield
Northumberland Rd
University of Sheffield,
Sheffield, S10 2TU.
Tel.  (0114) 222 6460
Fax.  (0114) 276 8125

If you are sending me an attachment please note that I use a Mac and that
UUEncoded attachments are difficult to decode. If you use a PC it would
help me if you tick the box 'Use Mime Encoding' in the 'Special' options,
in 'Sending Mail'.Thank you.
-