Objet : possible student placement in 1999

Dear collegues,

We are the English Lecturer and the Ergonomics lecturer of the Environmental
Health & Safety department
at the Institut Universitaire de Technologie, which is part of Bordeaux 1
University.
We run a very intensive 2 year university course in Environmental Health and
Safety, which prepares to a perventionist function. At the second year level
our students have to choose one speciality between : Safety at work,
Environmental protection and Fire safety engineering.

At the end of their second year all  the students have to  do a 9 week
professional placement, the aim of which is to put into practice in an
indutrial context, the theory they have learnt with us by means of a project
they have to carry out.

We have developed  this kind of placement out of France for several years.
In the last 10 years a great many of them have done this in the
United-Kingdom, in the States, Canada, Australia and in several
other European countries - the Netherlands, Finland, Germany, Norway...
These placements have always been a great success.
For us this kind of placement is a rare occasion in a student or
professional life to learn other ways of  preventionist practice and
activity.
Some of the contacts established during these placements have been kept well
after the placement, and
exchanges have taken place.
This year we would like to emphasize placement of student who have chosen
the Safety at work and ergonomics speciality and if you are interested in
this, why not wellcome  foreign student in safety at work or ergonomics and
find a placement for us.

In the safety at work and ergonomics, the students are trained in different
topics :
- work physiology ;
- toxicology ;
- work psychology ;
- ergonomics (activity analysis, task related factors, etc.);
- risks analysis methods (fault-tree analysis)) ;
-  causation models ;
- prevention of health and safety ;
- electrical safety ;
- environment  factors analysis (lighting, noise, vibration, and climate) ;

Then project that a student has to cary out could concern different topics.
The choice of one topic could be done through to discussions between the
industrial tutor and us.
During their placement, the students have to write a 40 to 50 page report,
and have to defend their project in front of a jury, in Bordeaux, once they
have come back. The professional tutor, whenever he/she can come, is also a
member of the jury at the presentation.
All our students have done at least 9 years of English and manage to do
their work without too many difficulties, after a week or so of "tuning in".

In the last few years, more and more students have accepted to write their
report in English, although this is not a must for us.
The students are fully coverd for illness and accidents (including Civil
Liability) before leaving France. Financially they are
self-supporting,although we sometimes manage to get them some help towards
their fares from our Local Government.
Therefore we really appreciate when they can be helped  with the cost of
accomodation..
This is always a very appreciated by  young people on a tight budget.
Fortunately for them this has nearly always been possible, but it is by no
means a must.

For 1999 the placement dates are from 19 April to 18 June.

If you need any extra information, don't hesitate to contact me. E.mail is
the best way, since I teach quite a lot most of the week.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon,
Sincerely,

Horst Reiser
English Lecturer & Deputy Head of Department

Alain Garrigou
Ergonomics lecturer
Departement Hygiene, Securite, Environnement
IUT Bordeaux 1
Domaine Universitaire
33405 Talence Cedex
France